- 1. Why did you choose this book?
I chose this book because my grandfather periodically sends me baseball books, this one looked very interesting because it was a true story. I also really like baseball although I can’t play it to save my life.
- 2. Explain the plot of the book, or if it is a non-fiction book, what topics are covered.
The story starts when an eccentric man sidles into a sleepy farm town in Macon Il. first, he goes to a bar and orders a drink, after a long exchange at the bar the stranger whose name is Lynn Sweet then goes and inquires about a job at the local high school. The school board is appalled to learn that Sweet is a hippie, the kind that seranades his class with songs from Jesus Christ Superstar and wears flowers in his hair and wears giant peace signs around his neck. The school gets to the point where the almost fires Lynn, the only keep him in exchange for his promise that he will turn the fortune of Macon’s struggling baseball team around. The next few chapters go on to explain the bios of the different players that signed up for the team. The backgrounds of the players range from regular to very abusive and some places in between. Over the course of ten to fifteen years, the Ironmen come ever closer to the state championship and finally, the made the tournament in 1971 and Lynn Sweet eventually lead the Macon Ironmen to win a state championship!
- 3. Describe one of the characters in the book. Would you want to meet this character? Why or why not?
I think I would love to meet Lynn Sweet, he seems like a very chill guy, he also knows a lot about baseball, I think he could teach a bunch of valuable lessons, Lynn Sweet is in fact still alive so I could meet him.
- 4. What is your opinion of the book? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?
This is a very good book that teaches you a lot about acceptance and hard work, it is a very good piece of literature.
- 5. Explain how this book is similar to another book, film, story, or article that you have read or seen. What connections or comparisons can you make?
This is a very similar book to Friday Night Lights, the structure of the book is very similar. The story is kind of the same, the team has gone through many hardships but still was successful.
- 6. What do you think the main idea or theme of this story is? What is the author trying to tell you about life or our world with this book?
I think the theme is that if you can believe you can achieve and also not to judge a book by its cover. Lynn Sweet was a person that was judged and then celebrated.